A Simple Return
I'm here. For now. Because I feel like making a list and publishing it. And I have yet to get iruff.net up to speed.
Top 5 Things to Hate About Johnstown (with some comparisons)
1. hand guns. People here carry hand guns. Not everyone, but enough. In Somerset, people carry rifles regularly. But they are under no false assumption that it makes them cool. They keep it close because you never know when you might need to shoot something.
2. Fast food. Is never close. Cities there is a fast food joint on every corner. Somerset has 3 McDonalds locations. Yet, somehow in the Johnstown area you're almost always a 20 minute drive to the fast food you seek.
3. Traffic. And I'm well aware lots of place have traffic. But this traffic is not in places where traffic is supposed to be. It's not downtown, it's in the suburbs. And there is no explainable reason for why the traffic at 11:30am is worse than it is at 8AM.
4. You know how most cities have a good mix of good and bad neighborhoods? It's easier to get lost in residential hell here than it is in Pittsburgh for godsake.
5. Direction. Nothing is where it's supposed to be. You can follow directions so precisely, and still somehow, you don't end up where you were going.
Runner-up : the impression of some of the residence that they live in a city. Far from it. But some of these people actually act like they live in some great city with extravagant sky scrappers or something. Johnstown is simple a medium sized town, with a mall hanging out on the end.